Bollywood star Salman Khan might have to face imprisonment for up to ten years in regards to a hit-and-run case in the year 2002 in Mumbai, where one pavement dweller was killed by the star and others were injured by his vehicle.
On January 31, 2013, a Mumbai court said that the actor must be tried for culpable homicide not amounting to murder. Earlier in 2002, the star was pardoned by the court after he appealed that he did not intend on killing anyone.
Latest reports have said that Khan might move the Bombay High Court while challenging the latest ruling of the Mumbai court. At present, Salman is facing charges under section 304 (A) of the Indian Penal Code, by which the actor can get a maximum imprisonment of two years. The trial for the hit-and-run case will begin from February 11, 2013 and the actor is expected to appear before the sessions court from that day forward.
In 2002, the Toyota Land Cruiser being driven by the actor rammed into a bakery in suburban Bandra in Mumbai. The incident left one person dead and injured four others who were sleeping on the pavement. The family members of the deceased moved to a Bombay High Court demanding compensation, which was not paid for a long time. The family had demanded Rs. 19 lakh for the relatives of the victims.