About 160 staff members from a food company in South China’s Guangdong province have suffered from food poisoning. On June 12, 2013, a source from the company said that they had symptoms of chills, nausea, fever, vomiting, stomach ache and diarrhea.
The symptoms began after the staffers had dinner on Monday, June 10, 2013, at the third canteen of the Dongguan Hsu Chi Food Co. Ltd, which is based in the Dongguan City. The information regarding the number of people affected was communicated by Sun Tianzhen, a media relations officer of Hsu Fu Chi International Ltd. Dongguan Hsu Chi Food Co Ltd., who owns the canteen where food poisoning happened, is a subsidiary of Hsu Fu Chi International Ltd.
Tianzhen went on to say that a 57-year-old plate washer who works at the canteen was found dead in her dormitory on June 11, 2013. However, it is not yet known if her death has been caused by food poisoning or happened for any other reason. The woman who was found dead asked for leave on Sunday and Monday. At around 10 am on Wednesday, June 12, 2013, about 103 staff members had gone to the hospital for treatment, while most of them returned to the factory after treatment.
About 45 people have stayed at the hospital for further treatment.