The death toll in the Bihar food poisoning case in Chhapra has increased to 20. Nine more children died of food poisoning on July 17, 2013, after they ate their midday meal at a government primary school in Bihar?s Saran district. Children, including a woman cook, were taken seriously ill and have been transported to the Patna Medical College and Hospital (PMCH).
In Chhapra, 16 children under the age of 10 who were studying in Class I to V have died and four others were declared dead when they were brought at PMCH on July 16, 2013. Amarkant Jha Azad, Superintendent of PMCH said that the victims were admitted to the ICU section of pediatric department, while the senior doctors were taking care of them non-stop.
The incident took place at the government primary school in Dahrmasati Gandawan village at Mashrakh block, which is about 25 km from Chhapra and 60 km from Patna. After the tragedy occurred, political parties are speaking out, as the BJP announced a protest against the Nitish Kumar government.
The RJD is also observing Saran bandh on July 17, 2013, in order to protest against the incident. The children fell ill soon after eating their meal, which had rice, pulse and soyabean.