The South Korean giant launches Galaxy Grand Prime in India for Rs. 15,499.
Samsung has launched their latest device, Galaxy Grand Prime, in India for Rs. 15,499 ($280). The announcement came yesterday, on September 30, 2014 and Samsung also divulged details of its availability. The phone will be available in retail stores and online by the end of next week, around October 6, 2014.
The phone is being dubbed as a “selfie phone”, will feature a front facing camera with 85 degree wide-angle lens, which will have the ability to capture more than the regular front facing cameras in smartphones. The relatively low price will put it in the lower end bracket of feature smartphones.
The aim of the phone is to popularize the term “Groupfie” – which is the group equivalent to a selfie. The Vice President, Marketing, Mobile and IT, Samsung India, Asim Warsi said, “Introducing the new trend of ‘Groupfie’, Galaxy Grand Prime features an advanced wide angle front camera best-suited to capture group images.”
These are the key specs of the device:
- Display: 5-inch
- Resolution: 960 x 540 pixels
- Processor: 1.2 GHz quad-core processor
- Chipset: Snapdragon
- Internal memory: 8 GB
- External memory: Expandable up to 64 GB with microSD card
- Operating Software: Android v4.4 KitKat
- SIM: Dual SIM
- Camera: Rear – 8 megapixel with LED flash and 1080p video recording; Front – 5 megapixel with 85 degree wide-angle lens
- Battery: 2600 mAh user replaceable battery
- Color: Black and White
Samsung joins the Sony Xperia C3 and Nokia Lumia 730, both of which are ‘Selfie phones’.