Operators of the nuclear reactor in Kyushu continued to load nuclear fuel despite widespread public operation over restart of the nuclear reactor. The preparations to restart the reactor began on July 7, 2015. The reactor in Kyushu is expected to become the first one to come back on track after two years of being idle.
Several nuclear reactors in Japan were shut down after the deadly earthquake and tsunami that hit the country. Officials from the Kyushu Electric Power said it has received an approval to refuel a single reactor at the Sendai plant in Kagoshima Prefecture. The approval was given after an inspection was held last week.
A spokeswoman from the plant said that it will take about four days to load all 157 fuel rod bundles. After refueling, the reactors will undergo a month long inspection before it is switched back again in August. Reports said that a group of about 120 people had gathered outside the plant to protest against the process of restarting the plant. A women while talking to the media said, “Accidents are possible. The government said there would be no accident at Fukushima, but we had a disaster”.
Meanwhile the government of Prime Minister Shinzo Abe is keen on restarting all the plants so as to improve the economy of the country.